Athens International Airport Eleftherios Venizelos. Detailed engineering design study of the long term parking expansion and creation of a new taxi staging area (661)
ATHENS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT S.A.
Until 2007, Athens International Airport (AIA) “Eleftherios Venizelos” operated a long term parking with a capacity of 3350 cars. Since the beginning of its operation, AIA passenger traffic has developed an enormous increase, resulting in the overflowing of the long term parking. In order to cope with the increasing demand AIA proceeded to the expansion of the long term parking to a total capacity of 5625 cars, on land surface designated and reserved for this purpose within the master plan of the facility. In accordance with the increase of air passenger traffic, TAXI trips to the airport were proportionally increased over the years of the airports operation. The existing TAXI queuing area proved inadequate to handle the existing demand and hence a remote first stage queuing area with a capacity of 600 cars had to be introduced in the vicinity of the long term parking, operating with a separate entrance – exit system. Both facilities, i.e. long term parking extension and first stage parking queuing area were tendered in one project.
- Functional design of the access system, internal circulation and parking design.
- Detailed geometrical and civil design of the internal circulation and parking system
- Geotechnical study and pavement design
- Drainage design. Most of the development field was converted to hard. Appropriate storm water drainage had to be installed, compatible within the airports major drainage system and the strict environmental terms regarding oil separation of parking aprons drainage, before concluding to the final receivers.
- Signage design.
- Lighting design
- Irrigation design
- Tender documents for the relative construction works